Growcology is an inland Southern California based public benefit organization dedicated to sharing resources on gardening, edible landscaping, sustainable living, and empowerment with our community. We also seek to provide high quality, affordable, hands on workshops on all of the above.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Growcology spirals out of control!!!!

After much thought and deliberation, we would like to present our plans for the entryway of the Growcology site. The bottom of the design ends at the edge of the barn, to the right are the veggie garden plots, at the top is the solar panel, and to the left is a chain link fence and Spencer's and my driveway.


Revised irrigation plan


The spiral design and infinity symbol pathways were designed by Spencer, who, just the other night, reminded me how it was only a few months ago that he had so rudely scoffed at my suggestion that we make our gardens spiral shaped. * After everyone agreed that Spencer lays out a mean spiral**, I charted the veggie and groudcover layout/combinations, making sure to pair and group plants that benefit each other's growth and development (who knew that potatoes like to grow with watermelon?). Note that section A does not have little plant icons in it - simply due to my laziness. I think that section will be somewhat randomly planted (unlike, for instance, the Three Sisters area, which has a definite layout) so it seemed a bit of a waste of time to draw in little plants.

Finally, everyone decided on the irrigation layout, making sure to include both auto-sprinklers and standpipes for hoses (I love handwatering - I mean, who doesn't want to play with a hose in 100ยบ weather), and now. . . now the fun part begins - digging trenches! WHEEEEEEEEEE!







*I would just like to point out that right here, I am using my amazing willpower to resist adding a pun about how Spencer came around to my way of thinking.

** I apologize for any images of Spencer pooping that I may have conjured in your head with that phrase. I do not, however, apologize for any images conjured as you read the sentence preceding this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment